We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
- Dish type
- Pies and tarts
- Savoury pies and tarts
- Fish pie
- Cod pie
About the only dish in my house that gets the whole family licking the plate clean. (Even my fussy 3-year old!) Simple and delicious.
Carmarthenshire, Wales, UK
1605 people made this
- 500g white fish (haddock, cod, plaice, etc.)
- 600ml milk
- 6 to 8 large potatoes
- pinch salt
- 50g butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons plain flour
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 100g grated cheese
MethodPrep:40min ›Cook:40min ›Extra time:10min cooling › Ready in:1hr30min
- Preheat oven to 200 C / Fan 180 C / Gas mark 5. Place the fish in an oven-proof dish and cover with the milk. Bake in the oven uncovered for 30 minutes or until the fish is cooked through.
- Peel and chop the potatoes, and boil with a pinch of salt until soft.
- When the fish is done drain the milk into a jug and put aside. Flake the fish with a fork and leave in the dish.
- Once potatoes are done, drain, then add 30g of the butter and a splash of the reserved milk and mash.
- In another saucepan melt the remaining 20g of butter on a medium heat and slowly add the flour stirring constantly until you get a smooth paste.
- Add the remaining milk a little bit at a time, stirring constantly, until you get a sauce-like consistency.
- Add the parsley and stir well. Cook for 5 minutes, constantly stirring.
- Add the sauce to the flaked fish and mix well. Top with the mashed potato and spread evenly. Sprinkle the grated cheese evenly over the potato topping.
- Place back in the oven for 30-40 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbling and slightly golden brown.
- Take out of the oven and leave to cool for 5 to 10 minutes.
Serve with fresh steamed vegetables.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(69)
Reviews in English (63)
This fish pie is delicious! Made it with just cod pieces and as I only had 250g fish, I added sweetcorn and brocolli to bulk it out. Clean plates all round. Will be making this again.-10 Feb 2013
lovely fish pie ,will definetly make again. also added sweetcorn-14 Oct 2012
I made this tonight as the first step in my campaign to cook the same dinner for everyone in my family - 4 yo, 8 yo, husband and me. It worked a treat. Slightly boring to eat food with not much spice, but everyone enjoyed it. Easy to get frozen cod fillets that work great.-27 Jan 2013